Ohio's premier scholastic indoor track and field meet, the MileSplit / SPIRE Showcase will commence on Sunday, February 10th at the SPIRE Institute in Geneva. Year after year, the Showcase attracts the best athletes from throughout the region and beyond and we anticipate that the 2019 installment will be no different.
In 2017, Detroit's Cameron Cooper and Pennsylvania's Jordan Geist stole the show as both stand-outs demonstrated remarkable performances. Cooper, who now represents Louisiana State University, blazed around the notoriously fast 300m SPIRE track in 1:50.07 for a dominant victory in the 800m contest while Geist wowed those who were in attendance with his massive 73-10 winning throw in the shot put event. Geist now competes at the college level for the Arizona Wildcats.
Last year, sprinters Abby Steiner, Lanae-Tava Thomas and Austin Kratz arguably raised the bar even higher. Steiner and Thomas had spirited duels in the 60 and 200 with each performer collecting a win; Steiner captured first in her signature 200m event with a 23.60 clocking and Thomas earned the 60m victory in 7.39. Kratz went 6.78 and 21.04 for ultra-impressive triumphs in the 60m and 200m races.
(Watch Cameron Cooper establish a new 800m SPIRE Institute record for high school men)
Important notes regarding the 2019 SPIRE Showcase:
- Registration Opens: January 1st at 12:00 am
- Registration Closes: February 3rd at Midnight
- Meet Date: February 10th starting at 10:00 am (field events) / 11:00 am (track events)
- The meet is expected to conclude by 6:30 pm or earlier
- There will be a live stream broadcast of this meet - available to MileSplit subscribers
- You must qualify for this meet - registering does not guarantee your acceptance
- There will be 32 athletes accepted for each event
- There will be 28 athletes (4 heats of 7) accepted for all relays
- The triple jump event will not be contested
- All seed times / marks that are submitted will be researched for verification by meet administrators. Preference will be granted in the following order: 2019 indoor season results / 2018 indoor season results and in some instances 2018 outdoor season results will be considered. This is based on meet director discretion - all decisions are final.
- On February 5th all accepted athletes will be listed in an article on MileSplit Ohio
* The SPIRE Track and Field Director, Charlie Powell, and the representatives from MileSplit would like to extend a special welcome to all eligible former SPIRE Showcase Champions and / or State Champions. While these athletes will still have to submit their registration like everyone else, their acceptance is guaranteed.
Remember: if you have met the minimum times / marks noted above, that does not mean that you are guaranteed entry. We will select the top 32 applicants for each individual event and the top 28 athletes (4 heats of 7) for each relay.
For those athletes who aspire to re-write the SPIRE Institute's record book, view the current all-time bests that have been achieved by scholastic competitors -
Beginning on January 1st, you can submit your registration: