Article Comment: Middle School State Meet Coverage HQ
05/05/2012 9:14:55 AM
User
as awesome as the logo in the middle of the field is... I would love to see the track in the video for the boys 3000
as awesome as the logo in the middle of the field is... I would love to see the track in the video for the boys 3000
05/05/2012 9:38:08 AM
User
love the live action...i hope one of the four cameras switch to high jump, long jump or triple jump before its over
love the live action...i hope one of the four cameras switch to high jump, long jump or triple jump before its over
05/05/2012 2:21:31 PM
User
Ben Roberts is a BOSS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ben Roberts is a BOSS!!!!!!!!!!!!
05/05/2012 6:40:41 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
A great event! Incredibly well run meet. Congrats to Jason and the entire FLYRA team. Get some rest.
A great event! Incredibly well run meet. Congrats to Jason and the entire FLYRA team. Get some rest.
05/05/2012 7:30:22 PM
User
The results are posted, but they are separated by club and middle school divisions (which is not how I want them). We had a problem with this all day trying to get Hytek to do what we wanted... keep them together for the event results but separate it out for team scoring. So hopefully will get that from Mike Hill tonight. Mike (Elite Timing) did a fanstastic job today. Results were posted live on the site and we had them up on the wall usually within 10 minutes of the event (running events... .field always take longer since you have to type them in non-existent breaks) thanks to all who came, mike, calvary christian, flyra, my wife, my parents, etc...... I'll have a bigger statement later
The results are posted, but they are separated by club and middle school divisions (which is not how I want them). We had a problem with this all day trying to get Hytek to do what we wanted... keep them together for the event results but separate it out for team scoring.

So hopefully will get that from Mike Hill tonight. Mike (Elite Timing) did a fanstastic job today. Results were posted live on the site and we had them up on the wall usually within 10 minutes of the event (running events... .field always take longer since you have to type them in non-existent breaks)

thanks to all who came, mike, calvary christian, flyra, my wife, my parents, etc...... I'll have a bigger statement later
05/05/2012 9:01:14 PM
User
Just want to express my deepest gratitude to everyone who helped make today's MS State Championship a great experience for the youth, their parents, coaches and friends. All reports say it ROCKED...Congrats to all the youth who competed....And special thanks to Jason...well done.
Just want to express my deepest gratitude to everyone who helped make today's MS State Championship a great experience for the youth, their parents, coaches and friends. All reports say it ROCKED...Congrats to all the youth who competed....And special thanks to Jason...well done.
05/06/2012 9:31:09 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Yeah in the end Miami Gardens Xpress Boys should have won the overall state title for clubs by winning the 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, 4x1, 4x4 and 4x8. This is unheard of a team winning all that and still losing state. At the end they gave top 8 medals which got the 1-10 points, but when they seperated it by clubs it gave clubs that placed 19th overal points which should never be. Only kids that got points or the ones who got medals PERIOD. Sunnyrunners didn't have one single boys winner on Saturday, but yet still won the overall boys title. Where in the history is that done? Please look at the results and you will see they gave 10 points for the overall winner and 10 points for a club winner even if he placed 5th or 6th overall.
Yeah in the end Miami Gardens Xpress Boys should have won the overall state title for clubs by winning the 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, 4x1, 4x4 and 4x8. This is unheard of a team winning all that and still losing state. At the end they gave top 8 medals which got the 1-10 points, but when they seperated it by clubs it gave clubs that placed 19th overal points which should never be. Only kids that got points or the ones who got medals PERIOD. Sunnyrunners didn't have one single boys winner on Saturday, but yet still won the overall boys title. Where in the history is that done? Please look at the results and you will see they gave 10 points for the overall winner and 10 points for a club winner even if he placed 5th or 6th overall.
05/06/2012 9:36:40 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
1-8 should only get the top 10 points middle school or clubs! If you didn't get a top 8 medal you should not get any points for your middle school or club. Because you didn't do it that way when you gave out medals so why do it that way when you gave out points. I didn't see anybody give 1st place to a middle school and 1st place to club for the same race division boys or girls. It was only one 1st place medal giving out.
1-8 should only get the top 10 points middle school or clubs! If you didn't get a top 8 medal you should not get any points for your middle school or club. Because you didn't do it that way when you gave out medals so why do it that way when you gave out points. I didn't see anybody give 1st place to a middle school and 1st place to club for the same race division boys or girls. It was only one 1st place medal giving out.
05/06/2012 11:37:55 AM
Coach
@coachdlaw Hey Coach I am sorry you are a little upset about the team results. I am not going to take anything away from your boys. They did a great job. If you look at the rules manual that was published months ago (November)you will see that the scoring was set up that way last year. I believe you won that year (2011). The scoring worked to your advantage and your team pulled off a close victory. I believe the sunny runners (my team) was second. We were also second the year before in the "overall" to the 1st coast team. There was no break out of club and school that year (2010).They were a small elite team like yours. This was the year that school teams advocated for the seperation. Their rationale was that the big clubs not beat up on and discourage the school teams. There are many school teams that are not allowed to compete as per superintendent district rules across. It is ashame that there are inconsistencies across the state florida with the politicians. The goal of this set up with FLrunners is to give the kids that taste of elite competition.That is what they got yesterday. It was a great meet. Also, please note that Shaquille Quarterman was the shot put champion. We also had several jumps that were nocking on the door in both triple and long jump. A millometer off the board may have produced two more champions. That is the nature of the jumps. In terms of your comments "it is unheard of to have that many individual event champions and not win the team title" is inaccurate. I have been doing this 20 years and it is rare to have a team win with winning just a few event champions. Is it possible, YES. My team does well on those high hitting scorers and the junk point scorers. Depth trumps elite 90 % of the time. I think as the day unfolds today (Sunday) you are going to see some surprising announcements take place that you may not be aware of yet. Sincerely Coach Mike Ford
@coachdlaw

Hey Coach

I am sorry you are a little upset about the team results. I am not going to take anything away from your boys. They did a great job. If you look at the rules manual that was published months ago (November)you will see that the scoring was set up that way last year. I believe you won that year (2011). The scoring worked to your advantage and your team pulled off a close victory. I believe the sunny runners (my team) was second. We were also second the year before in the "overall" to the 1st coast team. There was no break out of club and school that year (2010).They were a small elite team like yours. This was the year that school teams advocated for the seperation. Their rationale was that the big clubs not beat up on and discourage the school teams. There are many school teams that are not allowed to compete as per superintendent district rules across. It is ashame that there are inconsistencies across the state florida with the politicians. The goal of this set up with FLrunners is to give the kids that taste of elite competition.That is what they got yesterday. It was a great meet.

Also, please note that Shaquille Quarterman was the shot put champion. We also had several jumps that were nocking on the door in both triple and long jump. A millometer off the board may have produced two more champions. That is the nature of the jumps. In terms of your comments "it is unheard of to have that many individual event champions and not win the team title" is inaccurate. I have been doing this 20 years and it is rare to have a team win with winning just a few event champions. Is it possible, YES. My team does well on those high hitting scorers and the junk point scorers. Depth trumps elite 90 % of the time.

I think as the day unfolds today (Sunday) you are going to see some surprising announcements take place that you may not be aware of yet.

Sincerely

Coach Mike Ford
05/06/2012 12:14:33 PM
User
@forddog92 @coachdlaw Corrected results are now posted with the divisions split out properly and scoring corrected accordingly. Previously, it the unattached athletes in the club scoring and they were displacing points. When we made the change, it did not effect the overall boys team scores but it did effect the girls team scores and put Sunny Runner as the champs for the girls division as well. http://fl.milesplit.com/meets/105565-flrunnerscom-flyra-middle-school-state-championship Sorry for the confusion. Running an event with the multiple divisions is confusing to do in Hytek and it took a little doing to finesse it to calculate and split it out correctly. We had to add a third (non scored) division just for unattached to pull those out.
@forddog92 @coachdlaw

Corrected results are now posted with the divisions split out properly and scoring corrected accordingly. Previously, it the unattached athletes in the club scoring and they were displacing points. When we made the change, it did not effect the overall boys team scores but it did effect the girls team scores and put Sunny Runner as the champs for the girls division as well.

http://fl.milesplit.com/meets/105565-flrunnerscom-flyra-middle-school-state-championship

Sorry for the confusion. Running an event with the multiple divisions is confusing to do in Hytek and it took a little doing to finesse it to calculate and split it out correctly. We had to add a third (non scored) division just for unattached to pull those out.
05/06/2012 7:14:31 PM
User
A couple of things I found a little disappointing about the meet- #1- incorrect lane counting in the girls 3000 that almost cost Emma Rudman the title. I wouldn't expect that to happen at a state meet. #2- The started getting in the way during the girl's 4X400 relay- one of our team members ran into him and stopped to say sorry. I would think in a meet this size the started would be more careful to stay out of the way. This mistake likely cost the team a couple of seconds and they were only out of the medals by a couple of seconds. It makes my heart hurt to think we drove 14 hours round trip so my daughter could compete in this race and run her heart out to have her team robbed of a medal. They gave it their all and due to the carelessness of adult "officials"
A couple of things I found a little disappointing about the meet- #1- incorrect lane counting in the girls 3000 that almost cost Emma Rudman the title. I wouldn't expect that to happen at a state meet. #2- The started getting in the way during the girl's 4X400 relay- one of our team members ran into him and stopped to say sorry. I would think in a meet this size the started would be more careful to stay out of the way. This mistake likely cost the team a couple of seconds and they were only out of the medals by a couple of seconds. It makes my heart hurt to think we drove 14 hours round trip so my daughter could compete in this race and run her heart out to have her team robbed of a medal. They gave it their all and due to the carelessness of adult "officials"
05/06/2012 7:39:08 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@wendielee97 Wendy, Please accept our sincere apologies for how the whole experience turned out for your daughter.............Our whole focus is to provide the experience of track and cross country for these kids so that they may take their desire to the next level. However, as much as we don't desire that experience to happen for any young runner, we will remember that when we go to plan for the next state meet. I hope we get to see her next year, please tell her we're sorry. Laura Fredrickson MS State Track Meet Front Gate FLYRA
@wendielee97
Wendy,
Please accept our sincere apologies for how the whole experience turned out for your daughter.............Our whole focus is to provide the experience of track and cross country for these kids so that they may take their desire to the next level. However, as much as we don't desire that experience to happen for any young runner, we will remember that when we go to plan for the next state meet.
I hope we get to see her next year, please tell her we're sorry.
Laura Fredrickson
MS State Track Meet
Front Gate
FLYRA
05/06/2012 7:56:53 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Kudos to all who made this meet a nice memorable experience. Very efficient running of the meet (the scoring was another matter, but still fixable, and done pretty quickly). I tried to thank all those who I knew had a big hand in making this thing go. It is such a great experience for all these kids to get a taste of, being among elite high caliber middle school athletes of the state of Florida. All of these athletes who qualified are 'Elite' in my book - just look at the stats - to make the qualifying mark is an 'elite' athlete. Because of the competition that my girls (& a few boys) know is out there, it helps them to raise their game a little. We enjoy going against the likes of private school powerhouses such as Oak Hall of Gainesville and Bolles of Jacksonville - perennial powers at the high school level. We enjoy our trips out west to the panhandle region, stay in Destin at one of the beach resorts (Emerald Grande this time, and the friendliness & competition with Liza Jackson). W/out the MS State series, we probably wouldn't venture too far outside of Bradford & Clay counties, with whom we enjoy a great friendship. I was really proud of my girls yesterday and the boys who had never qualified before, they rose to the occasion, most ran PRs (Both Sunny Runners 4 x 800m relay girls were all from Lake City Middle School - the B team had an alternate that was not LCMS, but we ended up not having to use her). In spite of the dropped baton & not defending our state championship in that relay, we still came away with a new time of 10:08 that we can be most proud of. The girls ran their hearts out, and poor Emma Tucker (our A team anchor) had just 40 minutes earlier won the girls open 800m. We felt that it was worth the sacrifice of the relay for her to go for that (she was hoping Grace Blair and Lauren Archer would have run to push her under 2:20!). Earlier in the season MacRollers (Oak Hall) beat us & handed our butts to us on a silver platter. I feel like they had to work a little for it this time. Both teams under the previous state best for that event. Our B Team ran 11:14 & 9th overall place - noteworthy because all 4 of those girls are 6th graders! Adding to those 4 is our leadoff A team member 7th grader Bernita Brown, and we have the makings to challenge for the state title again at the MS state meet this fall (we lose our 3 workhorses to Columbia HS). We sincerely hope that Oak Hall & Bolles and any other schools with a stable full of middle schoolers to join us at the middle school state xc meet! Of course, if they aren't already defending state titles with their HS teams! Thanks again all for allowing us public school kids to rub elbows with future State HS Champions! Fantastic fast track....
Kudos to all who made this meet a nice memorable experience. Very efficient running of the meet (the scoring was another matter, but still fixable, and done pretty quickly). I tried to thank all those who I knew had a big hand in making this thing go. It is such a great experience for all these kids to get a taste of, being among elite high caliber middle school athletes of the state of Florida. All of these athletes who qualified are 'Elite' in my book - just look at the stats - to make the qualifying mark is an 'elite' athlete. Because of the competition that my girls (& a few boys) know is out there, it helps them to raise their game a little. We enjoy going against the likes of private school powerhouses such as Oak Hall of Gainesville and Bolles of Jacksonville - perennial powers at the high school level. We enjoy our trips out west to the panhandle region, stay in Destin at one of the beach resorts (Emerald Grande this time, and the friendliness & competition with Liza Jackson). W/out the MS State series, we probably wouldn't venture too far outside of Bradford & Clay counties, with whom we enjoy a great friendship. I was really proud of my girls yesterday and the boys who had never qualified before, they rose to the occasion, most ran PRs (Both Sunny Runners 4 x 800m relay girls were all from Lake City Middle School - the B team had an alternate that was not LCMS, but we ended up not having to use her). In spite of the dropped baton & not defending our state championship in that relay, we still came away with a new time of 10:08 that we can be most proud of. The girls ran their hearts out, and poor Emma Tucker (our A team anchor) had just 40 minutes earlier won the girls open 800m. We felt that it was worth the sacrifice of the relay for her to go for that (she was hoping Grace Blair and Lauren Archer would have run to push her under 2:20!). Earlier in the season MacRollers (Oak Hall) beat us & handed our butts to us on a silver platter. I feel like they had to work a little for it this time. Both teams under the previous state best for that event. Our B Team ran 11:14 & 9th overall place - noteworthy because all 4 of those girls are 6th graders! Adding to those 4 is our leadoff A team member 7th grader Bernita Brown, and we have the makings to challenge for the state title again at the MS state meet this fall (we lose our 3 workhorses to Columbia HS). We sincerely hope that Oak Hall & Bolles and any other schools with a stable full of middle schoolers to join us at the middle school state xc meet! Of course, if they aren't already defending state titles with their HS teams! Thanks again all for allowing us public school kids to rub elbows with future State HS Champions! Fantastic fast track....
05/06/2012 8:05:53 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Of course, Oak Halls' anchor leg is 6th grader Grace Blair, 2:18 in the 800m this season....
Of course, Oak Halls' anchor leg is 6th grader Grace Blair, 2:18 in the 800m this season....
05/06/2012 9:06:18 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
This was our third year at state track meet and facility was huge improvement. No more porta-potties! Nicer in almost every way. Everyone was very friendly and the big screen was amazing! But, had some concerns with starter/official person who test fired his gun while girls were lined up for 3000, without warning them, and the fact that there were no counters for this distance event.What made it worse was that an official told girls they had one lap left when they had two, and that coaches were not allowed on the track. Our runner was trying to yell to her coach to find out what lap they were on but he was too far away to tell her. Another (or maybe the same) official wandered around in lanes 1 and 2 during the 4 X 400 relay handoffs. He interfered with a runner leaving, which cost the relay precious seconds. I would expect some of these things at a small dual meet between middle schools, maybe, but not at a state championship meet. One more comment is that medical personnel should be staffing the event and be near the finish line. We had a runner go down and no one helped her and her coach had to argue to be allowed on the track to carry her off. Once we got her off the track, kind strangers from other teams shared water and ice to revive her. At the regional meet we hosted, we had a registered nurse on duty for the entire day and she responded immediately to medical events large and small.
This was our third year at state track meet and facility was huge improvement. No more porta-potties! Nicer in almost every way. Everyone was very friendly and the big screen was amazing!

But, had some concerns with starter/official person who test fired his gun while girls were lined up for 3000, without warning them, and the fact that there were no counters for this distance event.What made it worse was that an official told girls they had one lap left when they had two, and that coaches were not allowed on the track. Our runner was trying to yell to her coach to find out what lap they were on but he was too far away to tell her. Another (or maybe the same) official wandered around in lanes 1 and 2 during the 4 X 400 relay handoffs. He interfered with a runner leaving, which cost the relay precious seconds.

I would expect some of these things at a small dual meet between middle schools, maybe, but not at a state championship meet.

One more comment is that medical personnel should be staffing the event and be near the finish line. We had a runner go down and no one helped her and her coach had to argue to be allowed on the track to carry her off. Once we got her off the track, kind strangers from other teams shared water and ice to revive her. At the regional meet we hosted, we had a registered nurse on duty for the entire day and she responded immediately to medical events large and small.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.