Mark your calendar for Sunday, January 15th, 2023, as one of the Midwest Region's most competitive and fastest growing meets is set to return to the Dr. Conrad Worrill Track and Field Center (formerly known as Gately).
Athletes will converge upon Chicago for the 3rd Annual Akinosun Elite Invitational.
Don't delay, as meet registration is now well underway and will remain open until Thursday, January 12th.
To set the table for what is sure to be another outstanding event, meet manager Morolake Akinosun joined the MileSplit Midwest podcast to discuss the meet's history, its plans for 2023 and the trajectory she sees it striking in years to come.
Akinosun, a 2016 Olympic Gold Medalist and 2017 World Championships Gold Medalist, also outlined her rise through the ranks from her days as an Aurora Flyer to her high school tenure at Waubonsie Valley and then where she suited up collegiately at the University of Illinois and the University of Texas.
Watch Akinosun's feature interview above and review additional meet information contained in the links below.
Time Stamps ~
- 0:00 -- Introducing Morolake Akinosun
- 0:45 -- Episode Introduction and outlining goals for Akinosun Elite Invite
- 3:30 -- Discussing entry standards and athlete eligibility criteria
- 5:25 -- Debriefing on successes from the first two editions of the meet
- 7:35 -- Identifying areas of improvement to build upon from past two years
- 9:55 -- Previewing the evolution plan for the meet in future years
- 11:15 -- Confirming that meet is open to non-Midwest athletes, as well
- 11:45 -- Highlight Morolake's background in the sport and her coaching influences
- 14:25 -- A turning point in her career; recapping a true confidence building race
- 17:05 -- Aspirations that Morolake still aims to strike during her professional racing
- 19:15 -- Progression planning for involvement in the sport after competitive retirement
- 21:15 -- Noting why elite athletes should make sure to attend the Akinosun Elite Invite
- 22:50 -- Episode Wrap-Up